Thursday, December 18, 2008

One Year Later (forgive me DC . . . )

Well since it has been a year I'll do some good ol' fashioned nit-picking.

1) Angel/Snow-Angel - In the second frame he just looks out of place hanging in the air, but aren't they in a house/office at this point? It’s just out of place the fact he's either flapping in the face of his teammates or he is just hovering. I think standing in an action position would have looked less out of place.

2) Professor's X-mas' beard- It looks like Cole's collar has a cousin and it’s the Professor's beard. I looked at the other drawings of his beard and there was no line to indicate and bend or fold yet in panel 2 his beard makes a 90 degree turn. I know there are some looping lines in the head-on shot but nothing to indicate his beard has that type of turn.

Otherwise the story remains in medias res and I am hoping that there is a punch line as a cliffhanger for the weekend instead of a dramatic pause. Also, hearing Santa having balls to do something is strangely disconcerting.

Well i hope you guys (and gals) enjoyed these nit-picks and happy anniversary PVPMMS!

7 comments:

R.W.McGee said...

Happy Anniversary, PVPMMS.

A Nonny Mouse said...

Happy anniversary PVPMMS.

Unknown said...

the floating angel is a nod to how he was drawn in the 60's, often floating in front of people, many times inside http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/4/43/Uncanny_X-Men_12.jpg/300px-Uncanny_X-Men_12.jpg

obviously the art isn't up to par as the late great king kirby, but it's definitely an homage to him

Dajagr said...

It's interesting how much Kringernaut's face looks like Cole's...

TheOriginalJes said...

I can't believe I missed a whole week...

But, it was worth it. I just read the last 5 at once, and it was so funny. If I had been reading all week, the retro-80's Marvel style would have driven me nuts. As you guys have noticed, the detail work has been quite on-target with the motif. I don't care if Scott traced, or copied, or whatever...definite result!

And the dialogue had great timing. It's been a while since the comedy of PVP left me smiling. I especially loved Prof. X-Mas borrowing from Hank McCoy (R). On an aside, it actually made me catch myself being an asshat nitpicker.

I think the Kringernaut looks a bit stupid. But, he is a style hybrid. Maybe he'll grow on me.

I'd also like to congratulate Scott for choosing a pop-culture reference theme that kids of the last 25 years can all relate to as kids. It's not just cool, it's Christmas-y.

And to Sage, thanks for carrying the torch of PVPMMS.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I like the detail that Scratch had been building the 'Kringernaut' since June. Nice one Scott :)

Duck said...

Deleting my previous comment doesn't make it less true. Although maybe I see now why there are so few comments on here.

Blog Archive